marți, 18 decembrie 2012

Asculta azi POLICE

Police - Message in a bottle

The Police: Sting (vocals, bass), Stewart Copeland (drums), Andy Summers (guitar).
They quit at the peak of their popularity, breaking up after 5 albums. A lot of the hostility that led to their breakup was caused by song selection.
Each member wanted more of his songs on the albums, mainly because the writer received the royalties, and unlike bands like U2 and Van Halen, The Police did not share songwriting credits.
The Police started as a Punk band. They played more complex styles when Summers joined.
They're from England, but first gained popularity in the US, where they attracted a following after touring small clubs, including CBGBs.
Before they hit it big, all 3 members dyed their hair blond for a Wrigley's Gum commercial in 1978.
Copeland's father was a member of the CIA.
The Police reunited in 2007, opening the Grammy awards with a performance of "Roxanne" before going on tour. Their previous performance was in 2003 when they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
Their rise coincided with MTV, who went on the air in 1981. With their intriguing videos and photogenic look, they received a great deal of promotion on the channel.
The champion race horse Zenyatta was named after The Police album Zenyatta Mondatta. Jerry Moss, who signed The Police to his label A&M Records (Moss is the "M", his partner Herb Alpert is the "A"), bought the horse when she was a yearling for $60,000 from former PolyGram records CFO Eric Kronfeld, and named her after the album. The investment paid off for Moss - Zenyatta won over $7 million in purses.
"Message in a Bottle" is a 1979 song by The Police, from their second album, Reggatta de Blanc.
The song is ostensibly about a story of a castaway on an island, who sends out a message in a bottle to seek love. A year later, he has not received any sort of response, and despairs, thinking he is destined to be alone. The next day, he sees "a hundred billion bottles" on the shore, finding out that there are more people like him out there. The Police debuted the song on a live television show called "Rock Goes to College", filmed at Hatfield Polytechnic College in Hertfordshire, England. The Police donated all money earned from the show to the school.
The single was The Police's first number one hit in the United Kingdom, but only reached #74 in the United States. An alternate "Classic Rock" mix is available on Every Breath You Take: The Classics.
This is Sting's favorite song as confessed to Jools Holland of BBC fame.

The lyrics:
Just a castaway
An island lost at sea
Another lonely day
With no one here but me
More loneliness
Than any man could bear
Rescue me before I fall into despair

I'll send an SOS to the world
I'll send an SOS to the world
I hope that someone gets my
Message in a bottle [x2]
Message in a bottle, yeah

A year has passed since I wrote my note
But I should have known this right from the start
Only hope can keep me together
Love can mend your life
But love can break your heart

I'll send an SOS to the world
I'll send an SOS to the world
I hope that someone gets my [x3]
Message in a bottle [x2]

Walked out this morning
Don't believe what I saw
A hundred billion bottles
Washed up on the shore
Seems I'm not alone at being alone
A hundred billion castaways
Looking for a home

I'll send an SOS to the world
I'll send an SOS to the world
I hope that someone gets my [x3]
Message in a bottle [x2]

Sending out an SOS

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

Blog Archive

Venetia

imagine 1 venetia imagine 2 venetia
imagine 3 venetia imagine 4 venetia

Colegii de BloG